Leading Global Metal Forging Company Lays The Foundation Of Industry 4.0 Using Altizon’s IoT Platform
Smart Manufacturing (Industry 4.0)
A Leading Global Metal Forging Company – A US $ 2.5 Billion conglomerate, head quartered in Pune.
It is a technology driven global leader in Metal Forming sector. It has a transcontinental presence across nine manufacturing locations, serving several sectors including automotive, power, oil and gas, construction & mining, locomotive, marine and aerospace.
- Line OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness)
- Statistical Process Control
- Historical Shift production
As a part of their Industry 4.0 initiative, the customer wished to improve their products, their business and their overall efficiency using actual production data from their assembly lines. The customer had multiple assembly lines with a diverse set of machines, robots and conveyors. They wished to analyse real-time data as well as store the historical data from their lines to identify issues, improve throughput and predict outcomes.
There were several challenges that this vision presented.
- The customer had invested in multiple SCADA systems across their lines. Multiple heterogeneous systems meant that it was extremely complex to collect data across these systems and present a unified view of production and efficiency data. There were islands of data that were not unified.
- The assembly lines consisted of heterogeneous machines, a majority of which were not connected. Data for these machines were manually complied resulting in delays and inaccuracies in decision making.
- Connecting additional machines would result in a humongous growth of data. The existing SCADA systems would not scale to this data growth which meant that there were limits to the amount of real-time and historical data that these systems could handle.
- The shop-floor (Operational Data) was isolated from the rest of the IT network in the organisation. The existing complex network topology made it a challenge for systems to talk to each other.
- The CXOs and decision makers in the company needed modern Rich Internet Applications that would work from anywhere and on any device. They needed modern and responsive web and mobile applications that would present data to then when they wanted it.
The customer kick-started their Industry 4.0 initiative by choosing Altizon’s IoT Platform – Datonis®, the leading enterprise platform for the Internet of Things (IoT). Datonis® would act as the unified platform for connecting all the machines across all their assembly lines. These machines could send data at the lowest granularity about every aspect of its operation to Datonis®. Datonis® would process this data in real-time or on a scheduled manner to provide insights into production efficiency and Overall Equipment Effectiveness (OEE). Some direct benefits include:
- Providing production visibility and machine efficiency across assembly lines allowing decision makers to monitor progress at a plant level and drill down into specific machines whenever needed.
- Complete historical data is stored and available for analysis. The customer can go back and analyse historical data going back to several years.
- All machines are connected regardless of the fact that they are heterogeneous which was previously not possible. All CNC and PLC machines with diverse controllers are now connected. Other machines that affect productivity like robots and testing machines are also connected. The Datonis® platform is built on a big-data stack and can easily handle the scale up and the data diversity challenges that these machines present.
- Energy consumption metrics are collected at a machine level and that information is used to manage energy requirements for current operations and future scale up.
- Datonis® is a hosted SaaS platform on the cloud so the customer can scale up as per their need. Datonis® provides a flexible pricing model which means that the customer only pays for machines connected. This provides a lot of flexibility with no up-front investment required for the platform. Datonis® also provides an uptime SLA so data is always processed and the system is always available.
- Datonis® provides complete integration with modern web and mobile applications using a comprehensive set of REST APIs. This meant that the customer could inject production data into their ERP systems as well as build applications that would present this data in the most suitable manner on any device.
Some of the business outcomes of deploying the Datonis® platform are.
Centralized Machine Data
All machine data is now collected and available for analysis at a central location.
Real-time and Historical OEE and Production Visibility
Provided accurate real-time OEE and production visibility – which was earlier manually calculated and was inaccurate.
Real time alerts and notifications and historical analysis of machine data helped improve real-time condition monitoring of machines and then drive an accurate schedule for Predictive Maintenance of machines
On-Demand Machine Data Analysis
Machine data analysis reports are now available anywhere and at any time.